Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cardigans- no, not the 90's swedish pop sensation



So when I was at Delia's the other day, I spotted this cardigan and instanteously fell in love. I'm off to college next year so I think I was drawn partly to the preppy aura it cast. At the same time, it's kind of fun and the color is very versatile so I can throw it over anything. I mean- come on, it's Delia's , the haven for preteen fashionistas.

I find it highly ironic that I've suddenly developed an obsession with cardigans and have begun some serious cardigan-hunting. You see, my highschool was a prepschool with a dresscode that dictated a cardigan if one were to wear pants. Needless to say, many girls donned cardigans during the wintertime. I had been firmly set against cardigans and pranced about most of my highschool winters in skirts + two layers of leggings or thermal underwear. The few cardigans that I owned were for major winter cold- they were chunky and not quite flattering but kept me warm. Although I do own two Free People cardigans that I'm quite fond of- they're both of the 'omg, I'm going to freeze to death if I go outside' type. Anyways, my fixation with cardigans started AFTER senior year and I discovered an array of cute printed cardigans from J.Crew.

Actually, cardigans are like the lovechild of J.Crew. They're incredibly soft and great to throw over a pair of jeans. I still don't think I can pull off the J.Crew cardigan + khakis look. I think it still screams 'Greenwich countryclub mother' and on me, it's a bit awkward. The color selection at J.Crew is also quite diverse:







I particularly adore the ruffled embellishments.

For the slightly cheaper and more youthful look, Delia's offers a couple cute choices:





And Urban Outfitters does it best with their casually urban-chic looks:







5 comments:

Paris Tarts said...

I love the middle two cartigans :)

Check my blog out sometime,
Tart

Couture Carrie said...

I looooove your choices here - especially the button-back cardi. I must get a long cardigan for fall asap!

Cathy Nam said...

there's a sorta more casual cardigan from american apparel.. it's made out of the sweatshirt material-- sorta different from the completely pretty cardigans from jcrew and such hehe

Cathy Nam said...

ALSO, there's Rugby (a mark within Ralph Lauren) and it's prep's paradise. They have a whole ton of really really cute cardigans and other preppy accesories, clothing. check it out :D

laura said...

Cardigans are so perfect for lazy-I-really-don't-know-what-to-wear days.